The de Havilland Aircraft Company was founded in 1920 by Geoffrey de Havilland. Prior to establishing the company de Havilland worked as chief designer for the Aircraft Manufacturing Company (Airco). Initially the company produced biplane aircraft, such as the de Havilland Gipsy Moth. Subsequent aircraft included the de Havilland Dragon Rapide passenger aircraft. During the Second World War de Havilland built the famous Mosquito fighter-bomber aircraft. 7,781 Mosquito aircraft were built between 1940 and 1950.
de Havilland introduced the DH106 Comet aircraft in 1949. The Comet was the first production commercial jet airliner, but its service was overshadowed by a tragic series of accidents. Military aircraft production included the DH 108 Swallow and DH 110, but development of both aircraft was beset by fatal accidents. Hawker Siddeley Aviation acquired de Havilland in 1960 but operated it as a separate company until 1963. Aircraft - such as the 121 Trident and 125 - continued to be manufactured under their original DH designation until merger of Hawker Siddeley into BAC in 1977.
|Company||de Havilland Aircraft Company|
|Period of operation||1920 - 1964|
View de Havilland Aircraft Company aircraft profiles