Bristol Aeroplane Company
G-AOVT was the eighteenth Series 312 Bristol Britannia delivered to the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) and first flew on 17 December 1958. Carrying the serial number 13427, she initially served between London and New York. In 1959 G-AOVT was used, in combination with Comet 4 aircraft, to provide a round-the-world service from BOAC.
She was purchased by British Eagle International Airlines on 13 September 1963 and named 'Enterprise', flying schedule and charter services. G-AOVT was sold to Monarch Airlines on 18 August 1968. She completed the last commercial passenger flight in Europe by a Bristol Britannia on 14 October 1974 before leaseing to Invicta Airlines for cargo service. She was finally retired on 10 March 1975, arriving at Duxford on 29 June 1975 after 35,497 hours flying time and 10,760 landings.
Designed by the Bristol Aeroplane Company (Bristol) 85 Britannia aircraft were built between 1952 and 1960. In July 1948 Bristol commenced the construction of three prototype aircraft, designed as a medium to long-range civilian airliner. The first prototype aircraft - G-ALBO - flew on 16 August 1952. A second prototype aircraft was lost in an accident and development of production aircraft was beset with issues, compounded by a series of fatal accidents that befell the de Havilland Comet.
The Bristol Britannia entered service with British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) on 1 February 1957. The 200-series aircraft built by Bristol was designed to provide cargo-carrying, or a combination of freight and passenger-carrying capabilities. Of these, twenty-three Britannia aircraft were built for the Royal Air Force, providing troop and cargo transport. The later 300-series were built for transatlantic operation.
The production run of the Bristol Britannia lasted for only eight years. By the time the aircraft had entered service, rival manufacturers had developed their first jet-powered civilian airliners. Despite this the Britannia proved popular with passengers and she was affectionately called the 'Whispering Giant'.
Monarch Airlines (Monarch) was formed on 5 June 1967 by two former directors of British Eagle International Airlines. The airline was founded as a charter and scheduled airline and based at Luton in Bedfordshire. The aircraft carried a white, black and gold livery with a stylised 'Monarch' crown emblem. The airline began with two Bristol Britannia aircraft, with the first commercial flight taking place on 5 April 1968. Within a year Monarch had acquired an additional four Bristol Britannia aircraft. By 1971 the company expanded the fleet, purchasing three second-hand Boeing 720 jet aircraft. The Bristol Britannia fleet was retired by 1976 and replaced with two additional Boeing 720s and two additional British Aircraft Corporation (BAC) 1-11 jets.
In the 1980s the airline expanded rapidly, establishing bases at London Gatwick, Glasgow, Manchester and Berlin in Germany and extending routes to Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands. To fulfil these routes the airline took on further BAC and Boeing aircraft, including Monarch's first Boeing 757 purchased in 1983. In 1990 Monarch acquired its first EADS Airbus aircraft, an Airbus A300. The airline has continued to expand throughout the 1990s and 2000s and in 2009 operated 31 aircraft (primarily Airbus 300 series aircraft), served over 100 destinations and carried 6,300,599 passengers.
|Manufacturer||Bristol Aeroplane Company|
|Length||124 ft 3 in|
|Wingspan||142 ft 3 in|
|Height||37 ft 6 in|
|Engines||4 x Bristol Proteus 765 turboprop|
Which aircraft is the fastest? Which has the longest range? Choose another two aircraft to compare to the Bristol Type 175 Britannia