de Havilland Aircraft Company DH106 Comet in BOAC livery

Aircraft

Browse aircraft of the British commercial airline fleet

Vickers Viscount 701

Vickers Viscount 701 G-ALWF

The second production aircraft built by Vickers-Armstrong, G-ALWF made her first flight on 3 December 1952 before delivery to British European Airways (BEA) in February 1953. BEA assigned names to its fleet of Viscount aircraft; G-ALWF was named after the British Arctic explorer Sir John Franklin. In December 1954, during landing, she suffered a collapse of her starboard main landing gear, but was repaired and returned to service the following May. In late 1963 G-ALWF was sold to Channel Airways, based at Southend. She was subsequently leased to Tradair and then British Eagle, before being sold to Cambrian Airways in December 1965. She was officially retired on 24 December 1971. G-ALWF was flown to Liverpool in 1972 for static display before transfer to Duxford on 22 February 1976.... Read more about Vickers Viscount 701 G-ALWF

de Havilland Comet DH106

de Havilland Comet DH106 G-APAS

G-APAS was the twenty-second Comet DH106 aircraft built at Hatfield in Hertfordshire and the tenth Mark 1A aircraft. She was assigned the serial number 06022 and undertook her first flight on 16 Match 1953. The aircraft was delivered to Air France and assigned the registration code F-BGNZ. Following a series of Comet aircraft crashes attributed to metal fatigue she was returned to de Havilland in June 1956. F-BGNZ was converted to a Mark 1Xb configuration in March 1957 emerging with revised cabin windows and strengthened fuselage and re-registered as G-APAS in May 1957. She served for UK government Ministry of Supply and painted in RAF Transport Command colours before retirement to RAF Cosford in 1978. G-APAS - displayed as part of the RAF Museum's Transport Collection - is the earliest surviving complete Comet aircraft.... Read more about de Havilland Comet DH106 G-APAS

Bristol Type 175 Britannia

Bristol Type 175 Britannia G-AOVT

G-AOVT was the eighteenth Series 312 Bristol Britannia delivered to the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) and first flew on 17 December 1958. Carrying the serial number 13427, she initially served between London and New York. In 1959 G-AOVT was used, in combination with Comet 4 aircraft, to provide a round-the-world service from BOAC. She was purchased by British Eagle International Airlines on 13 September 1963 and named 'Enterprise', flying schedule and charter services. G-AOVT was sold to Monarch Airlines on 18 August 1968. She completed the last commercial passenger flight in Europe by a Bristol Britannia on 14 October 1974 before leaseing to Invicta Airlines for cargo service. She was finally retired on 10 March 1975, arriving at Duxford on 29 June 1975 after 35,497 hours flying time and 10,760 landings.... Read more about Bristol Type 175 Britannia G-AOVT

Boeing 707-436

Boeing 707-436 G-APFJ

G-APFJ, serial number 17711, was delivered initially to BOAC on 22 September 1960. The aircraft - a 707-436 series - was built to BOAC specifications and fitted with Rolls-Royce Conway Mk 508 turbofan engines instead of Pratt & Whitney JT3s. Following the merger of BOAC and British European Airways (BEA) G-APFJ was leased to Malaysian Airline System in 1974. Later the same year she was incorporated into the British European Airways (BEA) Airtours division. G-APFJ retired from commercial service in May 1977 and flown to RAF Cosford on 11 June 1981. She was broken-up during April-May 2006. Prior to destruction, G-APFJ was the UK's only preserved Rolls-Royce Conway-powered 707. Her forward fuselage was donated to the Museum of Flight in Scotland for display and is now painted in BOAC colours.... Read more about Boeing 707-436 G-APFJ

Vickers Standard VC10 Type 1101

Vickers Standard VC10 Type 1101 G-ARVM

G-ARVM was the final aircraft of twelve initial type 1101 production VC10 aircraft built by Vickers Armstrong. She undertook her first flight on 8 July 1964 and was delivered to the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) on 22 July 1964. Following the merger of BOAC and British European Airways (BEA) the BOAC Standard VC10 fleet was withdrawn from service from 1974 onwards. G-ARVM was kept in British Airways service as a standby aircraft. She made her final flight 22 October 1979, before transfer to the Royal Air Force Museum at Cosford. G-ARVM was broken-up at RAF Cosford between August and October 2006. Prior to destruction, she was the UK's only preserved Standard VC10. Her fuselage (minus tail, engines, wing and landing gear) was donated to the Brooklands Museum, Surrey.... Read more about Vickers Standard VC10 Type 1101 G-ARVM

Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 1

Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 1 G-ARPH

Built by Hawker Siddeley Aviation aircraft G-ARPH was the eighth of twenty-four Trident 1c aircraft built. G-ARPH was delivered to British European Airways (BEA) on 25 March 1964. Initially G-ARPH served as an instructional airframe in February 1975 before entering commercial service in September 1976. G-ARPH carried over two million passengers and clocked up 29,000 hours of flying time before her last commercial flight on 2 January 1982. G-ARPH flew into retirement at RAF Cosford on 2nd April 1982 and remained on display for twenty four years as part of the British Airways Collection. The collection was dispersed and the airframe broken-up at RAF Cosford during May 2006. Prior to destruction G-ARPH was the world's only original preserved Trident Type 1c. The surviving cockpit section donated to the Museum of Flight in Scotland.... Read more about Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 1 G-ARPH

British Aircraft Corporation 1-11

British Aircraft Corporation 1-11 G-AVMU

G-AVMU was the thirteenth BAC 1-11 510ED-derivation aircraft produced, and carried serial number 148. She first flew on 29 January 1969 and was delivered to British European Airways (BEA) on 19 March 1969. She served with BEA and then British Airways (BA) following the merger of BEA and BOAC. When BA assigned county names to their BAC 1-11 fleet G-AVMU was assigned the name 'County of Dorset'. G-AVMU saw regular service to Europe from Manchester and London. She completed twenty-three years of commercial service before retirement in October 1992. After storage at Hurn Airport in Bourenmouth G-AVMU was placed for disposal. Donated to the Duxford Aviation Society she made her final flight on 4 March 1993. By that time she had flown 40,279 hours and made 45,540 landings.... Read more about British Aircraft Corporation 1-11 G-AVMU

Vickers Super VC10 Type 1151

Vickers Super VC10 Type 1151 G-ASGC

The third of seventeen Type 1151 Super VC10 aircraft built at Weybridge by Vickers, G-ASGC first flew on 1 January 1965. Delivered to BOAC on 27 March 1965, G-ASGC made her first commercial flight on 3rd May, flying across the North Atlantic. Following the merger of BOAC and BEA in March 1974, British Airways began retiring their VC10 fleet although G-ASGC - repainted in British Airways colours - continued in service with British Airways albeit on shorter European routes. G-ASGC's last commercial flight was from Amsterdam to London on 22 October 1979. Fortunately the aircraft was donated to the Duxford Aviation Society and on 15 April 1980 the aircraft was flown from storage at Heathrow to Duxford in Cambridgeshire. Her final flight saw her complete 16,415 landings, spending 54,623 hours in flight.... Read more about Vickers Super VC10 Type 1151 G-ASGC

Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 2

Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 2 G-AVFB

G-AVFB was built at Hatfield in Hertfordshire and was the second of fifty Trident 2E aircraft destined for BEA. She first flew on 2 November 1967 and was delivered to the airline on 6 June 1968. She continued in service until 1973 when she was withdrawn from service and leased to Cyprus Airways in June 1973 and re-registered 5B-DAC. She was in Cyprus during the Turkish invasion of northern Cyprus in 1974 and suffered superficial damage from gunfire. Returned to Heathrow in May 1977 the aircraft was repaired, restored and repainted in British Airways livery. She returned to service flying between London and Manchester. She was retired and flown on Duxford on 13 June 1982 after 21,642 hours flying time and 11,726 landings. There, in 1990, she was repainted in her original BEA colours.... Read more about Hawker Siddeley 121 Trident 2 G-AVFB